"I love thee to the depth and breadth and height, my soul can reach, when feeling out of sight, for the ends of being and ideal grace...I love thee with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death."
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Friday, January 1, 2010

Grandpa

My grandpa passed away on December 22nd. He was 82 years young.
I have many wonderful memories of him, all of which came flooding back to me while driving the back roads from Minnesota back to Kansas. We passed farmhouse after farmhouse; beacons of a lifetime of hard work. As Hudson was fussing during this trip, I put in a CD he loves: Elizabeth Mitchell's "You are my sunshine." Track number 6 is called "Jubilee" and I thought the words were fitting:

"It's all out on the old railroad,
All out on the sea,
It's all out on the old railroad,
As far as I can see

Hardest work I ever did,
Was working on the farm,
Easiest work I ever did,
Was swinging my true love's arm.

Swing and turn,
Jubilee
Live and learn,
Jubilee

If I had a needle and thread,
Fine as I could sew,
I'd sew my true love to my side,
And down the creek we'll go.

If I had no horse to ride,
I'd be found a crawling,
Up and down this rocky road,
Looking for my darling.

Swing and turn,
Jubilee
Live and learn,
Jubilee"

We will all miss you Grandpa. Looking forward to seeing you again someday.



1 comment:

  1. I lost my grandpa this year too, two months before he turned 82. We all miss him so much, but have wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive